DIY Bird Toys
Make your own fun and enriching toys for your feathered friend
Are you looking for a creative way to provide enrichment and fun for your feathered friend? DIY bird toys are an ideal solution for giving your pet bird something new and exciting to explore and play with. Making your own bird toys is a great way to save money while also giving your bird something to look forward to. In this blog post, we will discuss how to make your own bird toys and the benefits of doing so. Read on to learn more!
- Bird-safe rope. Sisal, Hemp, Jute, paper. Or Nickel Plated chain/ stainless steel chain with o rings.
- Wood blocks (untreated pine wood or other safe wood blocks)
- Cupcake liners-coffee filters
- Paper towel/toilet paper/wrapping paper tubes
- Egg carton (unused)
- Paper Straws
- Popsicle sticks
- Paper cups (not wax)
- Zip ties
- Cardboard Plain puzzles pieces
- Anti-pill Fleece
- Plastic chain
- Vegetable tanned leather shapes or laces.
- Bamboo finger traps
- Mahogany pods
- Vine Items
- Palm Items
- Sola Items
- croc a dile
- hole punch
- hand drill
Simple hanging toys
Making your own foraging toys is a great way to provide mental stimulation to your parrot. Foraging toys require birds to search, explore, and manipulate objects in order to get to the food inside. This can help reduce boredom, relieve stress, and provide birds with an opportunity to exercise their natural foraging behaviors. Here are some easy DIY foraging toys you can make at home.
Paper Towel Tube Forager
- Cut a paper towel tube into two or three pieces
- stuff them with your bird’s favorite treats, such as nuts, seeds, or bits of fruit.
- Fold the ends,
- Your bird will have to figure out how to remove the pieces and access the treats inside. You can make small holes in the tube to make it easier.
Cardboard Box Forager
- Cut holes in a cardboard box
- Put your bird’s favorite treats inside the box
- Add shredded paper
- Your bird will have to explore the box and reach inside the holes to find the treats.
Fun Foraging Basket
- Obtain a bamboo or willow basket. A stainless steel bucket will also work
- Wrap treats in cupcake filters or into small paper cups
- Add the wrapped treats to the basket
- Add other bird-safe toy items ( above list) into the basket
- Mix in shredded paper
Do you have a feathered friend who loves to shred? If so, you know how important it is to keep them entertained and give them a safe outlet for their natural shredding behavior. One great way to do this is by creating DIY bird toys for your pet.
- Cut up colorful strips of paper and weave them into their cage bars
- Cardboard boxes or Cut up cardboard pieces strung together
- Cut paper straws into fours. Make holes in each paper straw pieces. Make holes puzzle pieces. String together.
These are just a few ideas for making your own homemade bird toys that your feathered friend will love! Have fun getting creative and experimenting with different materials to make unique and enriching toys for your pet.
DIY bird toys isn't for you? PDS parrot shop has all these different kinds of toys and more. Check us out.
By Monika Sangar